Latest News |
ANZAC DAY – Chocolate Caramel Anzac Slice
April 13, 2022
Chocolate Caramel Anzac Slice
Prep: 15 Minutes – Cook: 35 Minutes – Serves 24
When these two Aussie classics collide you know your in for a real treat!
This incredible Chocolate Caramel Anzac Slice was handmade by our fantastic team of volunteers for our recent Anzac Day celebrations at Kawana Companions. To say it was well received would be an absolute understatement! We thought this recipe well and truly too good to keep to ourselves so please bake and enjoy with your family and friends this Anzac Day.
Cooking oil, to grease
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 75g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 Tbsp golden syrup
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 200g dark chocolate melts, melted
- Chocolate and caramel toppings, to drizzle (optional)
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
Note: Allow 30 mins cooling and 6 hours chilling
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 20 x 30cm lamington tin with cooking oil and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and set aside.
- Put butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan over a low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until melted and simmering. Stir in bicarb and boiling water then remove from heat.
- Pour into well in oat mixture and stir to create a crumbly mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin. Use back of a large spoon to smooth. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool in tin for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make caramel filling, put butter and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium and add condensed milk. Cook, stirring vigorously, for 4 minutes or until mixture has thickened and slightly darkened. Pour hot mixture over warm oat base and spread evenly. Bake for 10 minutes or until caramel is bubbling and light golden. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Pour melted chocolate over slice and smooth surface. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Use a large warm knife to cut into 24 squares. Serve drizzled with chocolate and caramel toppings, if using.